writing projects never end...

...each printed version is just a rest in between editing! I've just been reminded of that because the big, non-fiction book that has been the bane of my life for the last three months, which has largely prevented me witing much fiction, which I signed off and sent to my editor last week is back already...grrr. But I am an avowed tinkerer and adjuster anyway, at least I've become that way in recent years. I used to hate going back over things, my attitude was I did things ONCE. Now I can always seem to see better ways of doing things, different ways of saying things. Final versions never exist. Perhaps I've gone too far, there is a happy medium somewhere when you should simply stop, where the rough edges have gone but you haven't completely polished out the detail and quality of the underlying piece. The difficulty - and fun - of writing is working out where that point is.

Comments