The OCOL Challenge: The unexpected benefits



I've now completed my first full day of the One Camera, One Lens (OCOL) challenge and, so far, it's been good. I'm pretty certain I'll come out of it as a better photographer. It's taken me back to my early steps in photography, first with a Zenit EM, a present from my Dad who had a Zenit E, and then, when I was at uni, when I splashed out on a Practica.

(In case there are some young souls out there wondering why I've started to talk in a foreign language, these were (are) various communist bloc 35mm SLR cameras. The Zenits were Russian and had all the sophistication of a T34 tank (and were about the same weight) whilst the Practica's were slightly more sophisticated East German ones (they did at least have a camera heritage to build on). I'd have loved to have an Olympus or a Pentax ME but I was broke so I had to just dream).

I digress. The reason I started with this reminiscence is I've found myself framing a shot and then cursing that I didn't choose something more wide-angle than the 25mm prime I'm now working exclusively with.

But then I thought about it.

Back in those dimly remembered days of the Zenit and the Practica I only ever had one lens - a 50mm manual focus prime. I didn't curse then if I couldn't frame things right or I was too close or too far away to make the shot effective. What was the point, I had no choice. The only option I had was to use the other bits of kit I had, my brain and my legs to think out the best way of using the kit and equipment I had to improve the shot.

I'm now having to think and having to move. Realisation has hit me: all that gear I have has made me a lazy photographer.

Then, reading an article on colour bubble photography, I realised I didn't have a polarizing filter of the correct diameter for my lens. Not a problem; straight onto eBay. Then the second flash of realisation hit me; I can get a whole set of circular filters and reversing adapters (for macro work) for the one lens I have and never again have that perennial problem of never having the right size for the gear I have with me! For someone who is as disorganised as me that is like a cold beer in a heatwave - bloody welcome!

(Yes, I know there are universal kits - I have one. I usually forget to take the right adapter).

Life is simple - awkward, but simple.

I think I'm enjoying it. So far.

Comments